Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Oh, right: Meet Miss Osborn

I realized that unlike Alex, in his awesome first post, I forgot to introduce myself.

My name is Katie Marie Osborn and I'm also a Writing Seminars student at Johns Hopkins University. I'm originally from Carmichael, CA (a 'burb of Sacramento that lies on the west side of the American river), but I have many special Baltimore places in my heart thanks to friends, employers, and professors who've helped me get to know the city.

I have a fiction concentration within the Seminars, but I've also studied American and European literature, politics and public policy, and philosophy. I'm graduating in December and have little or no idea what I'm doing after that, but I have a feeling it's going to be something in community development or public policy.

I am so excited about our project at Roland Park Elementary and Middle School. I think it's critically important--at least it was for me--to begin to see writing as something that can be done outside of what you do in school, something that's actually fun and creative and relaxing and revealing.

Sixth grade is when I first got to know some of my favorite writers: Robert Louis Stevenson, Edgar Allen Poe, C. S. Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkien, and Lewis Carroll. 

My goal with my students is to look beyond their middle school "Primers" at the quality children's literature  out there. 

So far we've done pretty well! I'm having so much fun!

No comments: